My Newsradio Scripts

These are my old radio news scripts on Singapore's current affairs when I worked as a broadcast journalist.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

OTGV #35 - S'pore's Wealth

Broadcast Date: 11/08/03

How do you measure a country's health?

In dollars, in economic growth, in crime rates and other social statistics or just simply, in its people?

People, the one renewable resource that makes or breaks a nation.

Hi welcome to On the Grapevine with me Chong Ching Liang.

When one generation gets tired, old and perhaps, cynical, another takes over the main task of nation building.

The back waves pushing the front waves as described in one Chinese idiom.

Perhaps, the definitive gauge on the health of a nation is the young, the yet-to-develop resource of a country.

But Young Singaporeans have been getting a bit of a flak these days.

They are gauged to be self-centred, judged to quit Singapore more willingly.

Is it true?

Well, Minister in the Prime Minister Office and Labour Chief Lim Boon Heng finds hope in a survey about Singaporeans and their ties to Singapore.

"Do you believe that Singapore has a future? [children: YES!] Well yesterday, there was a report, they survey Singaporeans and found that 77% of Singaporeans are sure that Singaporeans have a good future. And young people have more confidence than the older ones."

Mr Lim thinks it isn't a youth-induced naiveté.

"But it's not just youthful exuberance or being wise to the ways of the world, but I think the young has reasons to be confident. The majority of our young will enter the market with some kind of skills."

But it is simply beyond a mere equipping the young with the tools to make a living in the New Economy.

A worker who's mobile will move on to greener pastures.

The intangibles, the immeasurable factors that constitute a strong sense of social responsibility is what binds young Singaporeans to their country.

As an example, let's look at young Singaporeans training to be nurses.

Nursing is the new glamour job after SARS.

Nanyang Polytechnic nursing student, Chwee Ngoh.

"Actually at the moment they gave me some very positive and negative remarks. They were like saying 'see, you really have to really be at the frontline lor, you have to really reach out for them. Can you really do it or not?' Then on another hand, they would be like 'Yeah lor, its very good lor, its like very few people can do this.' Because nursing is a profession where everybody can't do it. Only people who are special then can take up this career lor."

And being nurses have certain rewards.

Nurses are most sought worldwide due to endemic shortages of such professionals in developed economies.

United Kingdom and the United States have both been accused of "poaching" nurses from developing nations in desperate need of bettering their healthcare system.

So choices and inducement are aplenty for younger Singaporean nurses to "quit" Singapore.

That they don't will depend very much on their ties to Singapore and their ideals.

Idealism isn't short for N-Y-P student Serena.

"My reason for coming into nursing is, firstly, my mother is a nurse and I am inspired by her. And thru her I could see the nature of nursing which is very noble and you can make a great difference to other people's lives."

Neither is it for her schoolmate, Chwee Ngoh who has to conquer parental disapproval to make it to the nursing programme.

"I actually registered for the joint-admission exercise, I didn't put nursing as the first choice. And that's because a lot of friends and relatives they really dissuade me. Mostly it's because my parents they don't like lor. It's like when your parents don't like, it is better to listen to them. Then so I reluctantly chose another course, business, in Ngee Ann Poly, then after that I was thinking of taking nursing as a part time course, then I really think thru again. If I take it as a part time course then I might just as well as changed it now. Although it was over the period of appeal, I came all the way and I thank NYP a lot for taking me as a student."

Localised idealism, a desire to help society is what will bind them to Singapore.

Nurses can leave Singapore anytime after they are qualified because there is a global demand for them.

A crucial sign of Singapore’s health is that not many of the younger nurses leave.

Another young Singaporean Ivah Ee aspires to be a special education teacher.

An unconventional career goal, but one that projects voluminous optimism for Singapore.

Ivah on what fuels her atypical aspirations.

"Because I find that in Singapore, I find that our society is very different from overseas. The way Singaporeans are brought up is, they tend to shun this kind of kids. I actually saw this thing happening at the bus-stop. It so happens the kid who has Downs' Syndrome is my neighbour. He kind of like wanted to play with this girl while waiting for the bus. So he was like smiling at the girl and the girl mother was like pulling her away saying 'no you cannot play, you can't like smile'. Can't even smile or look at the person."

A sense of social injustice shapes her future.

"That was what instigate me to go into special education because I think it's something Singapore lacks."

Because That Is What Singapore LACKS.

Isn't this statement wonderful?

Battling social injustices without a crippling sense of cynicism that will see some throw in the towel.

This is Chong Ching Liang for Newsradio 938.


==========================

Related Links:

Newsradio 938 (now 938Live) Image hosted by Photobucket.com

http://www.938live.sg/

Nanyang Polytechnic Nursing Programme
http://www.nyp.edu.sg/SHS/shs_nursenet.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats